[icinga-announce] Icinga 2.0 has arrived

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 12:13:54 CEST 2014

Dear community,

here it is - 2.0.0 :)

Enjoy it as much as we do!

Michael

https://www.icinga.org/2014/06/16/icinga-2-0-has-arrived/

---

The moment we’ve all been waiting for. Today we release our stable
version of Icinga 2.0: One incredibly powerful, ingeniously scalable
piece of monitoring software that is simple to install, logical to
configure and easy to extend.

If you have been on another planet for the last 20 months, you can catch
up on our numerous blog posts and milestone releases. For the rest of
you – download away (from package or source), dive into the docs and
enjoy the new monitoring wonder that is Icinga 2.

Why upgrade you ask?

Icinga 2 performance is a joy in itself. Thanks to its multithreaded
design we’ve seen one instance run 1 million active checks a minute to
monitor 60,000 hosts without a creak.

Installation is simple as the usual functions you need come shipped with
Icinga 2 (e.g. IDO, performance data writing, logging and more). You
need only activate them with our soft link command
“icinga2-enable-feature”. Accompanied by upcoming Puppet modules and
Ansible playbooks, installation is easy in large environments too.

The new configuration format is logical and saves you stress in the long
run. Once you apply and assign your first template, define conditional
behaviours for commands and adjust notification settings at runtime,
you’ll never look back. Did we mention that dependencies make sense in
Icinga 2, and you can set recurring downtimes?

Icinga 2: Graphite Realtime Load
Icinga 2 supports Graphite natively for realtime performance monitoring
Extending is easy because Icinga 2 has multiple back-ends and supports
Livestatus and Graphite natively -who can say no to realtime performance
graphing?

Oh by the way, you can setup distributed, high-availability monitoring
straight out-of-the-box. Just enable the Icinga 2 cluster feature.
Clustered Icinga 2 instances autonomously manage load balancing of
checks, notifications and database updates as well as replicate
configuration and program states in real-time.

Most importantly, we’ve thought of everything to make migration as
painless as possible. We’ve dedicated a chapter to it in our Icinga 2
Docs with ‘migration hints’ on how to translate Icinga 1 / Nagios
configurations to Icinga 2. We’ve got config syntax highlighting in vim
and nano help with your editing, and a configuration validator to help
you find errors. Heck, we’ve even written a config migration script to
help get you started!

Lastly, there’s something quirky about this release. On 16 December 2009
we presented Icinga Core 1.0. Today, exactly 4.5 years later on 16 June
2014 in a strange stroke of fate we bring you Icinga 2.0 – after 20
months of work. It certainly was not planned; perhaps it’s in the stars.

And yet, if the numerology hasn’t convinced you, vagrant up a demo (or
even our cluster demo) and see for yourself.

To everyone who has helped make Icinga 2 happen –with patch, package,
bug report or helpful idea– we say thank you for helping us create what
we believe is the most impressive open source monitoring solution around.

michael.friedrich at gmail.com  || icinga open source monitoring
https://twitter.com/dnsmichi || lead core developer
dnsmichi at jabber.ccc.de       || https://www.icinga.org/team
irc.freenode.net/icinga      || dnsmichi