[icinga-devel] ODBC support

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Thu Jun 11 21:20:45 CEST 2009

On Do, 11.06.2009, 19:47, Onotsky, Steve x55328 wrote:

> True, but couldn't you just fork out a process to Perl, the location of
> which could be compiled in for sanity's sake, and perform the data
> operations?  Perhaps something like as detailed at
> http://www.xav.com/perl/lib/Pod/perlcall.html (and I'm sure many others).
>
> I'm just spitballing here, but there has to be a cheaper (free) and
> quicker way of getting the job done.

and speaking of performance how should this work out then? the IDO as is
is a critical task to gain performance while reading data from Icinga and
adapting the format and then writing into a database.

the libdbi is free of charge, the only thing is, that several drivers are
still experimental and parameter bindings are not possible, too.

but if you consider the following way of

icinga -> ido -> perl -> dbd -> db

instead of

icinga -> ido -> dbd -> db

i think there's one step too much which could lead into measurable
performance lacks. even though i dislike coding c and calling perl script
from there.

> Fair enough.  I'm a big proponent of consistency, but if it means using
> licensed code to get connectivity, then perhaps it's not the most
> effective way...?

the only licsensed code you are using is e.g. from oracle the sdk to get
the oci (oracle call interface) to let the libdbi driver send the query
requests using this interface.

libdbi is an open source project and not depending on any commercial driver.