[Icinga-devel] Icinga vs Nagios code structure

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Thu May 7 18:31:33 CEST 2009

Hi all

Back in the Nagios 1.x days, I remember asking if it was hard/possible
to separate the nagios core with checks and so on from the web GUI,
since hardcoded HTML in C is rather ugly. I think this was just before
2.0 was released and someone said the separation of the two was one of
the things that would make 3.x better. Now, that doesn't seem to have
happened. Nagios works well as it is, but it's a PITA to change the
web frontend.

Will Icinga try to change this? It'd be nice to have this in a client/
server model so that the frontend could be written in some higher-
level-language like PHP while the backend remains as it is. This could
also allow for separation of the two if wanted/needed, and perhaps
with a distributed backend in case of large systems.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685 / 98013356
roy at karlsbakk.net
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å