[Icinga-devel] other API than PHP planned?

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:51:15 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Shane Webster <swebster at pixius.com> wrote:
> Using the database as the pure access point for all information and control of the nagios core would be ideal. This would allow for
> any language (with db support of course) to be used as a frontend

Sure, you always have that possibility to tinker directly on database
tables (or config file, or rrd-data, or whatever), as a user who
controls his own databases cannot be prevented from that.

The idea of an API made accessible via a programming library and/or
remote service, be it SOAP, XML-RPC or REST( I forgot to mention that
because I never worked with it, but sounds viable, too) is to simplify
as well as encapsulate access to this database.

That means, a programmer/integrator can act on the data and maybe also
configuration without knowing too much details of the database design,
and by encapsulating it, you can save the data from being manipulated
in a way that breaks the whole system due to data insonsistency and
similar funny things.

Henning