[Icinga-devel] Some questions

Axel Liljencrantz axel.liljencrantz at freecode.no
Fri May 8 00:39:59 CEST 2009

Taylor Dondich wrote:
> What I'm saying is, you shouldn't have to feel that you need a release
> in order to open up the repository.  I think it's important to have
> visibility into what you all are doing right now, even if it is simple
> renaming and such.  That much more visibility into your processes will
> make sure to get the point across that you want this fork to avoid the
> closed house approach.  Let people see what you are doing.  It also
> gives a since of how active the project is from the get-go so we can
> take some confidence in knowing it's not just another fork idea that
> won't compete.

True. If Icinga is to be a community project, then sharing of broken
code with the community will occur on an almost daily basis. Might as
well get used to it now.

On the same note, I think it would be a bad idea to design a php api
behind closed doors and present it to the world as an almost finished
product. Make a rough sketch of the api docs and release them to the dev
list for feedback. I'll be happy to comment on it and to contribute some
time to coding, and it seems like I'm not the only one! :-)

In the end, what I'm saying is that there is a very natural tendency
towards keeping stuff hidden until you feel ready to show it, and it's
really counter productive. Please consider releasing early and releasing
often! :-)

Axel