[Icinga-devel] Review and IDOUtils (Oracle) Part II

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed May 13 13:26:24 CEST 2009

Hi there,

sorry for my mistaken first post to this list ;-)

I was a bit tired yesterday, so i didn't recognize that I forgot
installing the libdbi-devel package for RHEL. I did not check the
configure-script for Icinga on getting the dbi.h which was missing in
the system.

So the quick'n'dirty install from repository is

yum install libdbi libdbi-devel libdbi-drivers libdbi-dbd-mysql

I've also seen a postgre-ready package for libdbi, so far postgre should
also work as requested on the bugtracker (cannot test it myself meanwhile).

libdbi.i386 : Database Independent Abstraction Layer for C
libdbi.x86_64 : Database Independent Abstraction Layer for C
libdbi-dbd-mysql.x86_64 : MySQL plugin for libdbi
libdbi-dbd-pgsql.x86_64 : PostgreSQL plugin for libdbi
libdbi-devel.i386 : Development files for libdbi (Database Independent
Abstraction Layer for C)
libdbi-devel.x86_64 : Development files for libdbi (Database Independent
Abstraction Layer for C)
libdbi-drivers.x86_64 : Database-specific drivers for libdbi

Then a short configure with -enable-idoutils and everything is fine.

make as is doesn't work, maybe fix this to make all? Instead make help
should give all available options - should be better imho.

Ok then, did make all. Then as suggested - make install. And here we go
again with the bugtracker - user icinga not found in the system. Hmmm
ok, that's nasty to add it manually. I would prefer by creating it
during the configure routine, checking if sudo/root is enforced.

Both flags from configure only modify the user which is being used, but
not creating it.

--with-icinga-user=<user> sets user name to run icinga
--with-icinga-group=<grp> sets group name to run icinga

We should discuss this in deep here, but meanwhile, i will add the user
manually to step further.

# groupadd icinga
# useradd -g icinga icinga

Nice indeed, that there is no version discrepancy between version 2.x
and 3.x which was really a pain in the ass using nagios

make isntall-idoutils
make install-config

So far, it seems to be fine. After a meeting break, I will succeed in
further tests (and then try the big stuff with libdbi compile and oracle).
Others may try to install the IDOUtils with Postgre, I think this could
be done really easy.

Besides, a little suggestion - why not registering a channel to
irc.freenode.net called #icinga-devel ? Like #nagios-devel.

michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tel: +43 1 4277 14359

Vienna University Computer Center
Universitaetsstrasse 7