[Icinga-devel] Review and IDOUtils (Oracle) Part II

Christoph Maser cmr at financial.com
Wed May 13 13:58:06 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2009, 13:26 +0200 schrieb Michael Friedrich:
> And here we go again with the bugtracker - user icinga not found in
> the system. Hmmm ok, that's nasty to add it manually. I would prefer
> by creating it during the configure routine, checking if sudo/root is
> enforced.
>
> Both flags from configure only modify the user which is being used,
> but not creating it.
>
> --with-icinga-user=<user> sets user name to run icinga
> --with-icinga-group=<grp> sets group name to run icinga
>
> We should discuss this in deep here, but meanwhile, i will add the
> user manually to step further.
>
> # groupadd icinga
> # useradd -g icinga icingaic
>
> Nice indeed, that there is no version discrepancy between version 2.x
> and 3.x which was really a pain in the ass using nagios

I don't see any pain here. Most projects have it that way. Even before
you start oracle installer you must create a user. Another prominent
example would be apache httpd.
When i check packages here on my system i find 22 times useradd in
rpm-scripts. So it is quite common to handle these things in packaging.
Also here i see a problem here if you call useradd in configure you
cannot run configure anymore as ordinary user if, and that is exactly
what you do while packaging.

Chris

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach