[Icinga-devel] Review and IDOUtils (Oracle) Part II

Hendrik Baecker andurin at process-zero.de
Wed May 13 15:05:46 CEST 2009

Christoph Maser schrieb:
> Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2009, 13:26 +0200 schrieb Michael Friedrich:
>
>> And here we go again with the bugtracker - user icinga not found
>> in the system. Hmmm ok, that's nasty to add it manually. I would
>> prefer by creating it during the configure routine, checking if
>> sudo/root is enforced.
>>
>> Both flags from configure only modify the user which is being
>> used, but not creating it.
>>
>> --with-icinga-user=<user> sets user name to run icinga
>> --with-icinga-group=<grp> sets group name to run icinga
>>
>> We should discuss this in deep here, but meanwhile, i will add
>> the user manually to step further.
>>
>> # groupadd icinga # useradd -g icinga icingaic
>>
>> Nice indeed, that there is no version discrepancy between version
>> 2.x and 3.x which was really a pain in the ass using nagios
>
> I don't see any pain here. Most projects have it that way. Even
> before you start oracle installer you must create a user. Another
> prominent example would be apache httpd. When i check packages here
> on my system i find 22 times useradd in rpm-scripts. So it is quite
> common to handle these things in packaging. Also here i see a
> problem here if you call useradd in configure you cannot run
> configure anymore as ordinary user if, and that is exactly what you
> do while packaging.
>
> Chris

After there is a tracker reply, that an automated user creation might
cause problems while packaging, it might not be the best idea ever.
If we would enable this via a configure switch it's somewhat useless,
the lazy user wouldn't read a configure --help or a INSTALL doc.
On the other side, it might be better to disable the user creation
during configure and tell the package builder to disable this feature.
Package maintainer normaly know what they do, better: what the are
able to do. ;)

What I wouldn't do is to call a useradd during configure itself, I
would do it later during 'make install' which normaly runs as
privileged user.
I don't know much about other systems than linux, but I can't imagine
they might not share a overall command to add a user/group. So a
solution should fit to all... doing things userfriendly is sometimes
harder than writing a "Prepare your job" Howto...

- -
Hendrik