[Icinga-devel] Antwort: Re: Review and IDOUtils (Oracle) Part II

Axel Liljencrantz axel.liljencrantz at freecode.no
Wed May 13 15:24:21 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 15:12 +0200, Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com wrote:
> I'd rather say: let configure check for the existance of the user
> supplied as parameter (or the defaults if none are supplied) and
> throw an error/warning at the end:
>
> WARNING: configure found problems preventing a successful install:
> - user icinga not found on your system.
> - group icinga not found on your system.
>
> Or something similar, you get the figure.

<sarcasm>
I completely _love_ the Oracle installation model, where the
installation program pauses and shows a popup saying 'Please open a
terminal as root and run the following command, and then press the OK
button'. That would be like _so_ useful.
</sarcasm>

Seriously though, I second Saschas proposal. It would be very useful if
configure and/or 'make install' showed hints of what else you may need
to do to make things run properly.

Axel

--
Konsulent, Fri Programvare / Free Software Consultant
Cell: +47 - 473 44 003

«Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies
the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry
penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more
careful about what they say if they had.» - Linus Torvalds