[icinga-devel] Draft - making NDOutils/Idoutils obsolete

mareadmin mail at mare-system.de
Mon May 18 16:48:44 CEST 2009

Hi out there,

i don't know much about the internals of IDOUTILS and its
handling of SQL-Statements, but for me it looks like IDOUTILS
are far more complex than it should be, since its just parsing
some $MACRO$-stuff to a database; and parsing and handling $MACRO$s
is very cheap in nagios/icinga.

as far as i understood, idoutils shall store any status of any
host/service, any webinterface_action
as well as startup_parameters, parsed from config_files; this stuff
is presented via event_broker_interface / idomod and the handled over to
ido2db to put this stuff into a database.

maybe just the ido2db_stuff needs a rewriting, so it abstracts from the
db, presenting plain sql_code, doing all the db_handling by the
libdbi.
when its clear, how all the data is to be read from the socket, then this
should be no problem anyway.

if the aim wouldn't bee: "keeping strict compatibility with nagios"
one could discuss about additional service/host_config_options like

define host{
	db_log_command   log-host-to-pgsql
}

define service{
	db_log_command   log-service-to-pgsql
}

define command{
	command_name	log-host-to-pgsql
	command_line	/some/path/state2db -type=pgsql -action=host $MACRO1$ MACRO2$

}
define command{
	command_name	log-service-to-pgsql
	command_line	/some/path/state2db -type=pgsql -action=service $MACRO1$ MACRO2$

}

but this would break compatibility, so there is an interface (idomod) and the
solution is, for me, to create a db_independent ido2db that works on any db,
speaking plain sql.

and i wouldn't like to have the db_logging_stuff done
within the nagios_core since it will slow down/break nagios in case
the database is slow or dead.

until yet, i did not managed idomod to put data into data_sink ...

[1242656867] Icinga 0.7 starting... (PID=9881)
[1242656867] Local time is Mon May 18 16:27:47 CEST 2009
[1242656867] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1242656867] idomod: NDOMOD 1.4b8 (01-03-2009) Copyright (c) 2005-2008 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org), Copyright (c) 2009 Icinga Development Team (http://www.icinga.org))
[1242656867] idomod: Could not open data sink!  I'll keep trying, but some output may get lost...
[1242656867] Event broker module '/home/testo/icinga_devel/bin/idomod.o' initialized successfully.
[1242656867] Finished daemonizing... (New PID=9882)

Markus Manzke

MARE System Kiel   .:.   http://www.mare-system.de