[icinga-devel] Antwort: [RFC] SQL Queries

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Tue May 19 14:18:48 CEST 2009

Hi Hendrik,

I don't have any alive SQL queries for you at the moment, but one
prominent feature
I want to see dead is the current implementation of the ido-db
maintainance.

It is just _totally insane_ to run database trimming every 60 seconds in
ndo.

This is not just against all well known practices, it also against common
sense.
We should remove the trimming entirely from where it is right now and
implement
it in another way.
An application should not trim the database at will, it should do it when
the DBA deems it to be an ok time if the DB get's kinda slow for a minute
or two.

Proposal:

Put the DB trimming in an outer function and make it configurable via
ido2db.cfg when to run the databasetrimming. Maybe make it something
like crontab the time format and have it default to once per day at
midnight.
That way you should be able to "borrow" the parsing code from crontab ;)

e.g.:

ido2db.cfg:
# When to run DB maintainance to trim the tables and remove old data
# Default: once per day at 23:59
# see `man 5 crontab ` for details of the format
#
maintainance_time="59 23 * * *"

That should remove a lot of load from the DB on large installations.

What do others think?

Regards
        Sascha

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522