[icinga-devel] question about releases

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Fri Sep 18 17:08:47 CEST 2009

Hi,

Hiren Patel wrote the following on 18.09.2009 14:00:

> fair enough. if/when things start moving a lot quicker in the project,
> this could make sense to have though right?
yep, I'll keep that as a remark for the next meeting. currently
everyone's busy working on the improvements and next to that, other
company work has to be done too. But I'll keep that in mind.

> a defined freeze period and test procedure sounds good, I don't mind
> looking at drafting a test procedure if this will be considered.
I'll keep that in mind too.

> a similar quick release was done by nagios in a similar situation, a
> test procedure and defined freeze period for testing might prevent
> this I'm thinking.
Well it was actually a little more than thinking about an internal
freeze and test. I got the code up and running a few days before 0.8.3
and just proposed a release after 0.8.3. But since the community is
watching and asks for testing releases we decided to push the actual
completely rewritten code for more rdbms into the 0.8.3 release. it is
not stable til 1.0 so we had the opportunity to let the users test and
get into it. And most of the bugs were kindly reported so we had the
chance to fix them asap. Testing and reporting bugs is heavily needed,
e.g. speaking of the Coreteam, it's just Hendrik and me at this time.
And my Teststages contain only RHEL in a large environment and also
Debian with a small standard config.
> sounds good.
> does icinga maintain its own versions of nrpe/nsca/plugins to that
> from nagios?
Since those are other addons/plugins not solely related to the core just
as *doutils those should remain compatible to Icinga (the cgi api is
still the same). And they are way more stable than *DOUtils which will
be heavily improved. Only by changing some prefixes and of course some
code changes like the installscript for nagvis. Mainly it should be
possible to install those addons with some adaptions. quickstart guide
points to nagios plugins e.g. and the changed prefix and username.

If the community wants and commits compatability checks for other
plugins we will be very happy about that. Just open up a ticket in
https://dev.icinga.org in the docu section with proposals. Or like some
time ago propose the plugin team a few adaptions for Icinga.

> agree, when I'm able to tell my place of work that here is the piece
> of software, here is its release plan, here is the test plan and
> roadmap, it's a lot more likely to be tried out.
Yep I understand that. My business concern is mainly IDOUtils Oracle and
a nonblocking Housekeeper that is why I got the chance to provide my
knowledge into Icinga. There are other goals to fix and it's a hard way
getting there. But well, I'm enjoying myself working in this team :)
> I proposed this for nagios, the project didn't like a defined release
> cycle.
The counter on the homepage is a bit stressing, to be honest. It still
remains a project where other business work has to be done with higher
priority. So spending spare time on it is sometimes difficult (I did for
Postgres). It's also a bit hard to discuss what future plans will be
after version 1.0 and what other features and improvements will come.
Our main goal focuses on getting it done til the end of October and
getting to the OSMC with Icinga 1.0 in the backpack. You may call it an
initial test for future release plans.

michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tel: +43 1 4277 14359

Vienna University Computer Center