[icinga-devel] [info] change mysql schema from MYISAM to InnoDB

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Feb 17 10:56:53 CET 2010

Hi,

there are several big changes coming to IDOUtils in 1.0.1 and one of
those will be the change of the database engine of MySQL.

As you might know Postgres and Oracle only depend on row locking, not
table locking. This makes it easier to insert and delete at the same time.
MySQL using MYISAM produces a table lock - causing one query to pass
through and the other to wait.

Regarding the fact, that there will be such introduction in 1.0.1 - see
[1] - where insert and delete might happen at the same time (threaded
housekeeper), I want to propose to change the database engine to InnoDB.

Pros and Cons - check [2] - are there of course. But the price for more
speed are more disadvantages also in comparison to other RDBMS - no row
locking, rollback and transactions. Causing heavy load on the database
in bigger environemnts using Icinga IDOUtils this would be the right
choice to use InnoDB instead of MYISAM

I just wanted to make sure to keep you informed about that change. If
you have any suggestions, do not hesitate to do so :)

Ah yes and upgrading information within the docs will be provided as
ususal - I personally hate data inconsistency.

[1]
http://www.icinga.org/2010/02/17/icinga-idoutils-more-improvements-part-ii/
[2] http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/46370

michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at