[icinga-devel] remove USE_EVENT_BROKER conditonals

Christoph Maser cmr at financial.com
Wed Jul 7 13:14:59 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 07.07.2010, 11:20 +0200 schrieb Michael Friedrich:
> Hi,
>
> currently the event broker is always enabled throughout configure,
> mandatory for usage with idoutils or any other neb module.
>
> Christoph proposed to remove the conditional #ifdef's from the source
> since it does not matter anyways - see this commit:
>
> https://git.icinga.org/?p=icinga-core.git;a=commit;h=e36831624618533487825b14397582ec80a4f0d1
>
> My question is - is there anyone out there setting
> --enable-event-broker=no ? What do you think about that change?
>
> Kind regards,
> Michael

A few thoughts about that:

PRO:
- most if not all packages from distros/add-on repos compile with broker
enabled (icainga and nagios)
- borker enabled is the default setting for years in nagios and was
default always in icinga since the fork
- removing all the ifdefs leads to less diverse builds and thus easier
problem handling
- the removal of the ifdefs removes over 300 lines of code

CON:
- there might be a performance hit, but most if not all users should
suffer from that already (PRO 1)
- users running wihtout broker now might experience new bugs when the
run a build with the broker (unlikely due to broad usage of broker now)

+C

financial.com AG

Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach
Supervisory board/Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Dr. Ernst zur Linden (Chairman/Vorsitzender)