[icinga-devel] 3 interfaces work in unison

Matthew Brooks matthew at sonomatechpartners.com
Tue Jul 19 07:00:22 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 18:18, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently I've been configuring Icinga a lot and came up with a method for
> Icinga Classic, Icinga Web 2.0, and Icinga Mobile interfaces to all work
> together smoothly.
>
> A few years ago I wrote JavaScript to detect mobile architectures which is
> how I achieved this.
>
> Basically
>
>    - If JavaScript is disabled the interface defaults to the Classic
>    Interface
>    - If JavaScript is enabled and the user is using a mobile device then
>    it defaults to the Mobile Interface.
>    - If JavaScript is enabled and the user is not using a mobile device
>    then it defaults to the Web 2.0 Interface.
>
> Please check out the code I've written for it as I think it would be a
> valuable contribution to allow all 3 interfaces to be seamlessly utilized.
>
> Here's a link to the code/docs.
> http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Icinga#Smarter_index.html
>
> Sam Gleske (sag47)

I should point out that most people choose between the Classic UI and the
new Icinga Web based on their needs and preferences ahead of time. Having
the Classic UI show up when they are expecting Icinga Web and vice-versa
might cause a bit of consternation for many. Especially since this chooses
what to display for them rather than letting them actively choose.

Also, having the mobile interface automatically presented would prevent
someone from accessing the regular UI to do important things if all they are
stuck with at the time is their phone. Until the Mobile Interface is more
fully formed to allow commands, it's probably easiest and best to just have
different bookmarks on one's mobile device.

An interesting idea just the same and I would be interested in hearing other
people's thoughts. That said, at the moment, for me it's a

-1

And that's without even getting into concerns of trying to keep up with the
flood of new mobile devices that flood in every year.

Matthew
Icinga Dev Team