[icinga-devel] 3 interfaces work in unison

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Jul 19 08:29:12 CEST 2011

Matthew Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 18:18, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer at gmail.com
> <mailto:sam.mxracer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Recently I've been configuring Icinga a lot and came up with a
>     method for Icinga Classic, Icinga Web 2.0, and Icinga Mobile
>     interfaces to all work together smoothly.
>
>     A few years ago I wrote JavaScript to detect mobile architectures
>     which is how I achieved this.
>
>     Basically
>
>         * If JavaScript is disabled the interface defaults to the
>           Classic Interface
>         * If JavaScript is enabled and the user is using a mobile
>           device then it defaults to the Mobile Interface.
>         * If JavaScript is enabled and the user is not using a mobile
>           device then it defaults to the Web 2.0 Interface.
>
>     Please check out the code I've written for it as I think it would
>     be a valuable contribution to allow all 3 interfaces to be
>     seamlessly utilized.
>
>     Here's a link to the code/docs.
>     http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Icinga#Smarter_index.html
>
>     Sam Gleske (sag47)
>

> I should point out that most people choose between the Classic UI and
> the new Icinga Web based on their needs and preferences ahead of time.
> Having the Classic UI show up when they are expecting Icinga Web and
> vice-versa might cause a bit of consternation for many. Especially
> since this chooses what to display for them rather than letting them
> actively choose.
>
> Also, having the mobile interface automatically presented would
> prevent someone from accessing the regular UI to do important things
> if all they are stuck with at the time is their phone. Until the
> Mobile Interface is more fully formed to allow commands, it's probably
> easiest and best to just have different bookmarks on one's mobile device.
>
> An interesting idea just the same and I would be interested in hearing
> other people's thoughts. That said, at the moment, for me it's a
>
> -1
>
> And that's without even getting into concerns of trying to keep up
> with the flood of new mobile devices that flood in every year.

i like it. it's a nice idea and icinga users might wanna use that too -
it's always personal flavours :) [put icinga-users in cc therefore]

besides - we could put this up into the wiki on the howto section too,
where people can comment in confluence ;-)

kind regards,
Michael
(should i write what i do? ;D)

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at