[icinga-devel] Icinga Core API

Gunnar Beutner gunnar.beutner at netways.de
Wed Jun 29 14:18:06 CEST 2011

Hello,

as requested by Michael Friedrich I'm pushing the discussion that's so
far taken place on our internal team list to the icinga-devel list. For
anyone new to join this discussion here's a short introduction to what
this is all about:

During the Icinga meet-up last weekend we've discussed some ideas for an
Icinga Core API and a way to deal with scalability issues in large-scale
monitoring setups.

The basic idea revolves around using a message queue to decouple
components like service checks and API methods from the Icinga Core
while providing a unified interface to these components that can be used
either locally (i.e. in-process or via IPC) or remotely (via TCP). For
now we've been thinking about using ZeroMQ for this which is an
embeddable, (mostly) platform-agnostic message queue library written in C.

You can find an updated in-depth description of the proposed changes
involved in the MQ implementation at
https://wiki.icinga.org/display/Dev/Ideas+for+new+Core+API . I'd love to
hear your feedback about the design specifications which for now are
primarily being worked on by Ricardo and me.

Best regards
Gunnar Beutner