[icinga-devel] idea to implement command expansions

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sun Apr 8 21:04:00 CEST 2012

Hi.

I'm (at least trying - their list needs admin approval) to cross post
this to nagios guys, guess it's worth enough if they'd hang on.

When configuring our institutes Icinga I found my self at some point in
the need for a feature the lets me "chain" commands, which would be
especially handy when e.g. doing remote checks, or making many different
types of notifications, or possibly when using advanced plugins like
check_multi.

For both Icinga and Nagios I've opened feature requests in the ticket
system which (IMHO) thoroughly describe the ideas and benefits behind
"command expansion":
https://dev.icinga.org/issues/2506
http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=317

I had a quick glance over the Icinga source code (guess the Nagios code
is in the core parts still not too different) but honestly I could not
even find where I'd have to hook in.

So given that I think this would be really a generally useful feature,
I'd like to bring this to some wider audience here and ask for comments,
etc.

Thanks,
Chris.