[icinga-devel] upcoming changes in icinga 1.7 - help test

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Sat Apr 28 11:25:51 CEST 2012

On 28.04.2012 11:12, Thomas Dressler wrote:
> Am 27.04.2012 19:26, schrieb Michael Friedrich:
>> short update on that - the current r1.7 will now warn you when loading
>> idomod.o instead of idomod.so
>> question remains - should this just warn or bail out entirely refusing
>> to load the possible old module?
> I vote to rename or remove the older version. I ran for myself (and at
> least i should really know this) not only one time into trouble ,
> because i added the new config to the modules dir, but forgot to remove
> the broker entry in icinga.cfg. This results in very funny errors in
> ido2db and it took some hours for me to track the problem down to this
> change.

as outlined in the issue, you can't simply "remove" the old version. how
would you know about the location, and if you are allowed to call 'rm'?
Solely this only works on source installs, and not packages.

> If we remove the old module it will leave a clear error message in
> syslog if the module is still configured, but could not loaded(because
> its removed) and indicates, the new configuration is not yet in place.
> This will help us to support if this this high potential error occurs
> after the release

well the only thing i can do in that case is to bail out when 'idomod.o'
gets loaded. sadly it does not export the module version to be fetched
via dlsym, so that needs to be hacked after 1.7 then for future checks.