[icinga-users] Can't find libdbi when running configure

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Aug 19 12:00:39 CEST 2009

Hi John,

John.Greenhalgh at ses.com wrote the following on 18.08.2009 12:01:

> Hi Michael - I installed the packages from Red Hat Network rather than
> yum. There wasn't a libdbi-drivers package, but I thought that was
> just a package of drivers of which libdbi-dbd-mysql was an element? Is
> that the problem?
Meaning that you got the rpm's instead of yum install ...

When I'm doing a yum search libdbi, it states the following on an RHEL
5.3 x64 (no external repository like rpmforge active):

# yum search libdbi
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
=============================== Matched: libdbi
================================
libdbi.i386 : Database Independent Abstraction Layer for C
libdbi.x86_64 : Database Independent Abstraction Layer for C
libdbi-dbd-mysql.x86_64 : MySQL plugin for libdbi
libdbi-dbd-pgsql.x86_64 : PostgreSQL plugin for libdbi
libdbi-devel.i386 : Development files for libdbi (Database Independent
                  : Abstraction Layer for C)
libdbi-devel.x86_64 : Development files for libdbi (Database Independent
                    : Abstraction Layer for C)
libdbi-drivers.x86_64 : Database-specific drivers for libdbi

yum install libdbi libdbi-devel libdbi-dbd-mysql

The last one resolves into several dependencies like the following

 Package             Arch      Version
Repository               Size
Installing:
 libdbi-dbd-mysql    x86_64    0.8.1a-1.2.2
rhel-x86_64-server-5     21 k
Installing for dependencies:
 libdbi              x86_64    0.8.1-2.1
rhel-x86_64-server-5     37 k
 libdbi-drivers      x86_64    0.8.1a-1.2.2
rhel-x86_64-server-5     14 k
 mysql               x86_64    5.0.45-7.el5
rhel-x86_64-server-5    4.2 M
 perl-DBI            x86_64    1.52-2.el5
rhel-x86_64-server-5    605 k

So there should be the full package in your rhn and by installing using
yum you should be able to get the libdbi working. I've done that several
times on RHEL/Debian. If you really have Problems getting this to work,
you may try to compile the libdbi and libdbi-drivers from source.

1. Get libdbi source
Compile it (the docs may cause errors) ./configure --disable-docs, make,
make install
2. Get the libdbi-drivers source and configure it with desired driver,
in your case mysql (make sure you have mysql-devel with mysql.h installed)
./configure --with-mysql --disable-docs

IIRC there was a problem with the packages linking the drivers against
the libdbi but I am not sure about that. Getting the tarballs or the cvs
snapshot would be the best imho instead of rhel packages.

Kind regards,

michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tel: +43 1 4277 14359

Vienna University Computer Center