[icinga-users] [Feature request/proposal] Hiding (host|service)groups in Web interface

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Fri Aug 28 20:17:33 CEST 2009

Aleksei Miheev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've been using nagios for monitoring a small ISP/HSP network for few
> years. Now I'm considering switching to icinga and wondering if anyone
> but me needs this feature. Let me explain briefly.
>
> I have about 30 hostgroups now and looks like I need about 20-30 more.
> Some of them are "organizational" and group hosts by their role,
> location, people responsible for, etc. And some are used only to
> bulk-attach services to hosts.
>
> This results in unusably long Hostgroup Overview/Hostgroup Grid pages,
> so I would like to be able to hide some groups from this output. I see
> that as setting some parameter in group config:
>
> hostgroup hostgroup{
> 	hostgroup_name 	8-core-servers
> 	members 	john,paul,george,ringo
> 	display		no
> 	}
>
> I'm going to try to implement it myself anyway, but I want to ask if
> anybody needs this, too, or probably something more than this, and if
> there are any comments/recommendations from anyone.

Can't you do something with the contacts or contacts_groups to hide services
and hosts.  I couldn't find anything about this in the Nagios docs, but
Barth's book (p. 70) says that " a user who logs in at the web front end only
gets to see hosts and services for which that user is named as a contact."  So
you could define a contact that has all the same properties (except the name)
as your normal contact (so you still get notifications), but exclude it as a
contact from the hosts you want to hide.

I haven't tried this.  Hope it helps.

Paul Dubuc