[icinga-users] Icinga into critical production

Marcel Hecko maco at blava.net
Sat Sep 4 16:01:50 CEST 2010

Dear all, I have recently been appointed to design a new monitoring
platform for a critical (monetary) environment in a public institution.
I am considering deploying Icinga instead of Nagios as a part of the
solution.
 From your own internal experience is there any specific issue I should
be aware? What are your experiences with deploying monitoring based on
open-source technologies in a heterogeneous environments? What
logic/system/backend do you use to generate Nagios/Icinga configs; and
if, why are you using Nagios instead of Icinga and vice versa in
environments which are defined as strongly heterogeneous - that is
virtualized/real environment, AIX, Linux, BSD, Windows, HP-UX (!),
Solaris, VMWare, IIS and so forth - totaling of about 700 hosts.

One question in particular - how do you group hosts and services so they
make sense? Is there a tree-like grouping of hosts and services in
Icinga - I believe this kind of structure can be simulated by using
parent-child relationships. Am I right here?!

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Marcel