[icinga-users] no data in icinga-web

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Aug 30 21:41:05 CEST 2011

hi,

On 30.08.2011 19:09, John Larsen wrote:
> icinga cookbook: http://community.opscode.com/cookbooks/icinga

ah ok. i wasn't aware of that, thanks for the pointer!

> I just upgraded to 1.5 by changing version in the attributes.
>
> ok icinga_objects table does exist, but error is still the same.
> ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'icinga.icinga_ojects' doesn't exist

fix the typo in the query i gave you and try to re-run. or open the the
mysql db with your preferred gui and check for data. sending sql queries
is the easiest - if not adding typos.

> Im not sure which sql to check for that grml* typo. Could you point me to it?

sorry. "*grml*" is an expression in german language for being annoyed. i
was a bit tired today.

> related to make db-doc2sql?

that is icinga-web only, you won't find that with core+idoutils. forget
that for now.

> or icinga-core/module/idoutils/db/mysql/mysql.sql?
>
> CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS icinga_objects (
>    object_id serial,
>    instance_id bigint unsigned default 0,
>    objecttype_id bigint unsigned default 0,
>    name1 varchar(128) character set latin1 collate latin1_general_cs  default '',
>    name2 varchar(128) character set latin1 collate latin1_general_cs default NULL,
>    is_active smallint default 0,
>    PRIMARY KEY  (object_id),
>    KEY objecttype_id (objecttype_id,name1,name2)
> ) ENGINE=InnoDB  COMMENT='Current and historical objects of all kinds';

the sql query joins 2 tables

- hosts
- objects

icinga idoutils saves hosts, services, contacts, timeperiods, etc as
objects in the database table, and creates a relation to the config
table "icinga_hosts" where you will find the more attributes on the host
itsself.
within the objects table, name1 = hostname, name2 = null (for hosts, for
services it will be service desc). the flag is_active will tell you if
the core dumped config still is in use, or if the information remains
outdated (changed previous configs, removed a host, or similar).
the object_id is the primary key with matches on the foreign
host_object_id key in the icinga_hosts table. therefore it is being used
as join condition, providing the correct data then - selecting by a
hostname (name1) but getting all valuable information to compare with
the objects.cache the core is using to store it's object configuration
locally. you can then compare if the dumped configuration in the
database is accurate or not.

if you wanna check for the status of a host/service instead, you will
need to query the icinga_hoststatus table, again using the join with the
icinga_objects table. you can still use icinga_hosts as secondary join
to gather even more valuable information. this is basically the way
icinga-web fetches its data.

select *
from icinga_hosts
join icinga_objects
on icinga_hosts.host_object_id=icinga_objects.object_id
join icinga_hoststatus
on icinga_hoststatus.host_object_id=icinga_objects.object_id
where icinga_objects.name1='YOURHOSTNAME'
and is_active=1;

i've also updated the icinga-web testing guide with it

https://wiki.icinga.org/display/Dev/Icinga+Web+Testing

feel free to propose further tests for that, if applicable on resolving
your error.

kind regards,
Michael