[icinga-users] grouping services for overview

Simon Oosthoek soosthoek at nieuwland.nl
Mon Dec 3 13:06:45 CET 2012

Hi all

I'm still trying to grok our existing nagios setup, while thinking about
creating a new icinga one...

We have a service to a customer (our neighbour), we're carrying their
ISP connection on our fibre-link to the COLO. It would be nice to be
able to monitor all the bits in between that constitute their
connectivity...

Currently we monitor the link, the ports on the switches, etc. but
there's no overview of all these separate services... It would be nice
to be able to codify the specific bits (port x on switch a, port y on
switch b, link d, device e) as a single "hostgroup" or "service group"
to easily see which bit of the service might be the cause of lost
connectivity.

Is something like this possible with icinga?

I can see myself using this kind of grouping more often if it was easy
to set up...

Cheers

Simon