[icinga-users] grouping services for overview

Simon Oosthoek soosthoek at nieuwland.nl
Mon Dec 3 13:50:34 CET 2012

On 12/03/2012 01:06 PM, Simon Oosthoek wrote:

> Currently we monitor the link, the ports on the switches, etc. but
> there's no overview of all these separate services... It would be nice
> to be able to codify the specific bits (port x on switch a, port y on
> switch b, link d, device e) as a single "hostgroup" or "service group"
> to easily see which bit of the service might be the cause of lost
> connectivity.
>
> Is something like this possible with icinga?

Just to clarify a bit, I looked at the documentation and hostgroups or
service groups don't seem to fit the bill exactly, since the nodes on
which the services are are not exclusively used for this service "group"
and service groups seem to imply a generic grouping of certain services,
instead of services for a specific customer on specified hosts... (Or am
I misinterpreting the documentation?)

Cheers

Simon