[icinga-users] grouping services for overview

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Dec 3 23:01:22 CET 2012

Simon Oosthoek wrote:
> Currently we monitor the link, the ports on the switches, etc. but
> there's no overview of all these separate services... It would be nice
> to be able to codify the specific bits (port x on switch a, port y on
> switch b, link d, device e) as a single "hostgroup" or "service group"
> to easily see which bit of the service might be the cause of lost
> connectivity.

Possibly the Nagios Business Process AddOn fits your needs?

http://bp-addon.monitoringexchange.org/

It should allow you to link selected services
with logical expressions to one "meta-service"
which tells you whether the "neighbor's uplink"
works.

Further you might add parent/child relationships
between your services using service dependencies:

http://docs.icinga.org/latest/en/dependencies.html

Regards
Daniel
--