[icinga-users] host_name and availability reports

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:13:06 CET 2012

On 20.12.2012 10:00, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
> Recently I was confronted by the problem in our nagios server that the
> long term statistics (pnp4nagios graphics) are fully dependent on the
> host_name. If I change the host_name (and I did!) the previously
> recorded data was inaccessible from the WUI.
>
> Does icinga have this same problem?

pnp4nagios got the problem, not icinga itsself - it just passes the
information it gets directly as perfdata to pnp4nagios. when looking at
the gui, it fetches the data store presented via pnp4nagios itsself.

> BTW, this sort of thing would be easily avoided if each host would get a
> unique identifier of some sort to record their data with.
> Is this the reason icinga has "display_name" in addition to host_name?

no. the display_name is only for providing an alternate view on the gui,
while keeping the identifier in die background. this can be handy for
e.g. switches with a service port name (some id) and a port description
(a shiny name, pushed into display_name for the gui representation).

when initially defining a host->service relation, this should chosen
wisely and unique. changes to those are not expected and not the normal
case - so the manual procedure of moving the stored rrd and xml files of
pnp4nagios need to be done manually. if you require some sort of
automated detection of changed host/service names, you need to make sure
that a. something diffs old vs new config (core doesn't do that) and b.
pnp4nagios gets aware of thesechanges (doesn't get that now, just plain
new information).

kind regards,
Michael