[icinga-users] classic UI and idodb

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 15:28:11 CET 2012

On 28.12.2012 15:04, ml at dtnet.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've questions about using database backend for icinga with classic UI.
> Do they work together? Could the classic UI fetch the data for the
> reporting stuff like trends, availability etc from the database?

the classic ui ("the cgis") remain partly original old code, while
keeping compatibility layers with status.dat/objects.cache/logiles format.

the effort in implementing a database backend layer into that oldgrown c
code as well as reworking the way reporting data is retrieved and
presented would have been too much. furthermore, community demand on the
classic ui has never expanded into "database mandatory" or any feature
request for more than 3 years now.

that is why such thingy has never been on the roadmap. another reason -
no development ressources available for that, and as you may figure,
people actively developing good stuff are pretty rare these days.

remaining ressources on the icinga web and reporting parts still focus
on the way using the database backend for your described use case - and
the reporting cronk does a good job on connecting jasperrporting with
icinga web too.

> So far, I run icinga without database and all the reporting data is in a
> huge amount of logfiles. Access to them is quite slow. I now would like
> to move from those logfiles to a database.

moving those logfiles into a database is a difficult process, as
different tools such as jasper reporting require a different input
format for extended reporting that just plain logfiles (or even entries
within the logentries table in idoutils database - aggregating and
joining data in queries, etc).

though, at least for the availibity report, michael luebben has been
working on a parser which is using the json export of avail.cgi putting
it into the reporting database. this remains experimental as dev only
version in git. dunno the current status of that - it's still a yet
better approach than log2ido, which will just insert your logfiles line
by line into the logentries ido table, row by row, not applicable for
reporting.

> I'd like to keep the configuration of the checks etc in plain files and
> would like to still use the classic UI. Is this possible?

you may install icinga reporting, and connect it with classic ui (menu
and urls). icinga reporting will require icinga idoutils then, but since
it's reading the database directly, the java "monster" may be put on a
dedicated host as well.

> Could someone please shed some light on this? It's a bit unclear from
> the documentation.

the least classic ui does not mention idoutils as a requirement, and
quickstart guides are seperated as well.

kind regards,
michael