[icinga-users] Performance tuning/scaling Icinga

Devdas Bhagat devdas.bhagat at booking.com
Thu Mar 8 16:24:52 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:04:17PM +0100, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
<snip>
> 	Current testing has shown that the ido backend isn't able to
> keep up with data volumes. However, the non ido setup can keep up with
> current feed volumes (about 70-80 passive check results/second).
> We are monitoring about 21000 services over 1700 hosts (and growing).
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on scaling this up/out?

Just to end this thread properly, we did find a suitable solution.

Turns out the RAID card was lacking a battery, and that was causing
performance issues with writes. Adding a battery fixed the performance
issue (of course, our battery checks check for a failed battery, not a
non-existent one).

I suspect the observed symptoms were a result of too long an input queue
caused by the queue consumer (idoutils) not being able to keep up.

Devdas Bhagat