[icinga-users] check_snmp syntax question

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Feb 5 22:55:10 CET 2013

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:

> What I am trying to do now is get the status of the printer
> with the goal of generating output that would indicate if toner
> is low, or if other components are in need of service. What
> would be the correct syntax to use to accomplish this?

    To ascertain this, you will need to find a copy of the MIB
(Management Information Base) file from the vendor in question.
In that file, which if you're lucky will be in human-readable
ASN.1 (Abstract Syntax Notation One), you will find a list of
the OIDs (Object IDs) that the device supports.  With those,
you can query the printer directly using the fully-qualified
numeric specification for the OID in question (this is faster
than querying by textual OID).

    To find the MIB, I would start with the printer vendor or the
OEM supplier if you happen to know that.  Another avenue would be
to use the NET-SNMP tools to "walk" the SNMP OID tree in the printer
and follow the tree as it descends downwards (to the right) after
the "enterprises" branch (i.e. if a walk yields something like
"enterprises.####.$$$$.%%%%" Google first for "enterprises ####",
swapping #### for actual number of course, and continue).