[icinga-users] organizing remote passive checks?

Simon Oosthoek soosthoek at nieuwland.nl
Mon Jan 21 15:30:23 CET 2013

I've been reading the documentation on passive checks (particularly
distributed checks). (http://docs.icinga.org/latest/en/distributed.html)

As I understand it, on the central server you define all hosts, and all
service checks for the hosts. On the remote server you define only the
hosts that will be checked from there and the services with their
(active) check_commands.

If the central server will not do active checks on a particular service
or host you can use a dummy check that will show up when the freshness
runs out on a result.

Translating this to how I would administer this, I would apparently have
to keep two separate configuration entries for the same host, one for
the central server and one for the distributed check on the remote
server. (If the central server _can_ do active checks, the configuration
may not be different).

How does one keep this consistent?

Assuming a central repository for both types of servers, I'd imagine a
different configuration directory for the remote server, as it contains
less objects, than the central server. Keeping both configurations for
the same object synchronised seems not entirely trivial to do? Any
pointers to how this can be managed more easily?

Cheers

Simon