[icinga-users] No logging of icinga in /var/log/messages

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 13:59:06 CET 2013

On 11.01.2013 23:59, Sascha Rauschenbach wrote:
> The point is that the ido2db critical entries create automatically a high
> priority ticket. We could not edit the rules for this automatism, because
> there are many more server which using this. We have tried to change the
> rules for another problem before. Unfortunately the aren’t working with
> nagios/icinga. ;-)
>
> Ido2db insert this error messages because of corrupted tables of the icinga
> db which he tries to edit/insert into. The repair of this tables is ongoing,
> but we also want to separate the ido2db logging from /var/log/messages. For
> now and for future problems which will definitely occur. :-)

if you have a trigger repairing your database, why don't you just stop
the ido2db daemon then? it makes no sense letting ido2db run when the
database is in failure/recover mode, since those errors will re-occur on
every query being sent (and that's gotta be a lot in this regard).
rather let idomod warn about not being able to connect to data sink
then, this isn't a better solution, but still, it will remark that
ido2db is really not processing any data right now, and idomod may
buffer that data for you (setting for slots in idomod.cfg)

for the logging part - there was a feature request for syslog facilities
a while back. but since i do not have time for that, and noone else
stepped in and provided a patch set either, this has been closed for the
current 1.x roadmap.

i don't need any further logs - i just wanted to understand, why you are
approaching the logging in this way (next time tell in the first place
to prevent such questions :-P).

kind regards,
michael