[icinga-users] Dashboard view without authentication

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:54:25 CET 2013

On 16.01.2013 12:14, Eoin Dickson wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking at setting up Icinga, one thing I would like is the ability
> for users to see a dashboard/summary view without having to
> authenticate. This would just be a read-only view. I can't see from the
> docs whether this is possible - is it ? "Admin" users would still
> require authentication of course.
> Many thanks.

there are different ways to achieve that, depending on the gui used, or
an external dashboard getting available data from e.g. status.dat or
idoutils database.

for some classic ui setups, i've used apache configuration to identify
the host by its ip address and set REMOTE_USER accordingly. still, this
required a different cgi path, like /icinga-dash/cgi-bin/status.cgi

for icinga-web, you may setup a site also not enabling authentication.

still, the problem persists - how does an application treat the default
authentication mechanism and the requirement of just hiding it for once
without a login form. imho that's rather impossible within the same
vhost / url to the application, so my suggestion is a split into 2
applications accessible from 2 vhosts / urls.

other than that, there may still be different dashboard around the
corner, using status.dat or idoutils database which may work without
authentication either (based on ip address then again, for security
purposes).

mail:     michael.friedrich at gmail.com
twitter:  https://twitter.com/dnsmichi
jabber:   dnsmichi at jabber.ccc.de
irc:      irc.freenode.net/icinga dnsmichi

icinga open source monitoring
position: lead core developer
url:      https://www.icinga.org