[icinga-users] FQDN in Address

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:35:27 CET 2013

On 22.01.2013 14:52, Denis Simonet wrote:
> Icinga will use the hostname if you don't put an address.

more in detail: on reading your configuration, the core will decide if
you have set the 'address' attribute in your host object. if not, it
will copy the 'name' (hostname) attribute.

so basically, you will have your hostname then available as 2 macro values:

- $HOSTNAME$
- $HOSTADDRESS$

(this can be irritating, if hostname isn't a fqdn and the check plugin
getting this as argument behaves badly.)

my personal desire is to make the 'address' attribute mandatory, but
this has been rejected a while back, as it breaks with existing
configurations.

for some details, see this discussion - https://dev.icinga.org/issues/2411

other than that, to answer the initial question - if your fqdn resolves
into a valid A record on dns, plugins may treat 'address' similar to
normal ip addresses.