[icinga-users] ANNOUNCE: NSCA-ng 1.0

Holger Weiß holger at cis.fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 6 10:54:11 CET 2013

Today, I released NSCA-ng 1.0.  Debian packages and the source tarball
can be downloaded from:

	https://www.nsca-ng.org/

As far as I can tell, it works very well, and it has all the features I
wanted the 1.0 release to have.

The client features include:

 * Accepts all input, command line arguments, and configuration files
   accepted by the send_nsca binary provided with the original NSCA
   package.
 * Supports submission of arbitrary Icinga commands (not just check
   results) of arbitrary size.  That is, NSCA-ng could be used to submit
   downtimes or acknowledgements, for example.
 * Optional random delay before the client connects to the server.
 * Messages can optionally be sent to syslog(3).
 * Should run on any non-ancient Unix-like system.

The server features include:

 * TLS encryption and shared-secret authentication with client-specific
   passwords.
 * Fine-grained authorization control.
 * Very good performance and scalability.

The next step will be to tackle some of my wish list items:

	https://www.nsca-ng.org/documentation/todo.html

If you happen to be interested in any of those (or other features), I'd
be happy about any feedback you may have.

Holger