[icinga-users] poor performance on icinga reload (ido2db)

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 21:48:51 CET 2013

On 21.03.2013 16:13, Michael Friedrich wrote:
> On 21.03.2013 15:25, Marco Hoyer wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I'm currently planning a setup of Icinga checking some thousands of
>> services (maybe 8-10k) on round about 1500 hosts.
>> There is no big problem at all regarding the amount of checks but on
>> icinga reload there is a wait time of actually 25s where there is
>> nothing going on (with 300 hosts and 3000 services).
>

> 25s isn't that much. my dev box with a variety of config specialities
> for testing all possible configurations takes ~80s with 4k services on a
> dualcore vm. no tuning applied to mysql 5.1.66 on debian squeeze.
>
> for the problem itsself - there have been so many discussions in the
> past on the mailinglists / forums / dev tracker, that i won't repeat
> them here.
>
> for the configuration reload in general, this is required and the
> problem is well known.
>
> more information to be found here: https://dev.icinga.org/issues/1934
>

>> Ido2db is initializing the status database with the new config during
>> this time. The problem is, that I would like to reload icinga
>> everytime a config-change is made. Therefor a wait time of maybe 5s
>> would be acceptable.
>> Is there anyone having a similar setup and maybe an idea, how to fix
>> this?
>
> that's not fixable within the current architecture. the core does not
> send diffs, as it just does not do any on a reload. so the application
> (ido2db) is left alone doing update/insert logic. bad design, but
> requires a full rewrite which won't happen within 1.x
>
> again, read #1934 for detailed thoughts and information.
>
>> The mysql database storing the icinga status db is actually capable of
>> ap. 1200 queries/sec which seems to be very well.
>> We think about using SSD storage for it to increase iops but there
>> should be a better solution than throwing hardware on it.
>
> ssd might be fast, but also broken fast enough with many write ops over
> time. you've been warned.
>

>> My ideas:
>> - I would like to reduce the amount of data to be loaded by reducing
>> the data_processing_opts value in idomod.cfg. May there be a good
>> value for icinga-web usage?
>
> the one which is set by default. read the configuration comments, as
> well as follow the wiki for some more proposals on tuning that.

seems i wrote a wiki entry for that as well. someone should monitor my
wiki article count...

https://wiki.icinga.org/display/howtos/Special+IDOUtils+data_processing_options

mail:     michael.friedrich at gmail.com
twitter:  https://twitter.com/dnsmichi
jabber:   dnsmichi at jabber.ccc.de
irc:      irc.freenode.net/icinga dnsmichi

icinga open source monitoring
position: lead core developer
url:      https://www.icinga.org