[icinga-users] Hosts are not moved into new groups via assign where clause in icinga 2

Gaston Gloesener gaston.gloesener at web.de
Tue Aug 5 11:57:10 CEST 2014

Ok, I found part of the problem. I went to the database and had to note that my custom variable host_type (or type) cannot be found in the icinga_customvariables or icinga_customvariablesstatus table. Also only one of my hosts has a “os” variable assigned while all have it in their definition. Only the “sla” variable has been properly assigned to all hosts.

All switches had a custom template “generic-switch”, in this temjplat eI did set vars.type = “switch”. As this did not work I added vars.host_type to the hosts as well leaving the vars.type in the template. Now after my findings in the database I have remove the vars.type from the tamplate and then the os and host_type appeared in the database for the switches.

The weird thing is that the sla variable defined in the host definition was already in the database, the other 2 variables “os” & “host_type” defined along with it (one before, one after) where missing. Also I have other nodes which use the unmodified generic-host and had the same issue with missing variables. These nodes also had th evars.type custom variable set, but in the host definition not the template. I modified the type into host_type and all variables appeared in the database.

I have created a new host group with a new template for NAS devices and here the host_type is set in the template with success.

So I guess that vars.type has some special internal meaning ?

Ø  Uhm, might it be because you mix up the vars?

Oops, you are right of course, but that is not the problem, unfortunately.

First I used the vars.type variable. As this did not work I modified it to “host_type” just in case “type” would be reserved for some special purpose. I did not find anything in the docs that would suggest this could be the case, but one never knows J. Unfortunately when copying the file contents to the mail it was not yet modified in the groups.conf file.

The current settings are:

object HostGroup "network-switches" {

  display_name = "Network Switches"

  assign where host.vars.host_type == "switch"

}

object Host "switch22" {

  import "generic-switch"

  address = "10.1.0.22"

  vars.os = "Netgear"

  vars.sla = "24x7"

  vars.host_type = "switch"

}

Uhm, might it be because you mix up the vars?

object HostGroup "network-switches" {

  assign where host.vars.type == "switch"

}

Is not the same as

object Host "switch22" {

  vars.host_type = "switch"

}

I'd expect that statement  to be host.vars.host_type in object HostGroup.

How does that work for you?