[icinga-users] Icinga2 pnp4nagios Performance Data from applied Service

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at netways.de
Wed Aug 6 20:36:32 CEST 2014

On 06.08.2014 13:48, Yuval Freund wrote:
> - You said something about a services.conf where services exist which
> do not generate any perfdata and therefore rrd files.
>
> services.conf contains the applied service I pasted in my last email,
> and ping6, which I also don't seem to get an rrd-file from.

Are you sure that the apply rules really generate a valid service object
which then gets checked? Ignore the performance data part for now.

> The other services are defined directly under the host, for example -
> /etc/icinga2/conf.d/hosts/localhost/users.conf :
>

> object Service "users" {
> import "generic-service"
>
> host_name = "localhost"
> check_command = "users"
> vars.sla = "24x7"
>
> action_url = "/pnp4nagios/graph?host=$HOSTNAME$&srv=$SERVICEDESC$'
> class='tips' rel='/pnp4nagios/popup?host=$HOSTNAME$&srv=$SERVICEDESC$"
> }

That's a service object directly bound to one host, namely 'localhost'.
Given the check_command attribute 'users' provided by the itl plugin
check commands (check the docs for details on parameters) we can assume
that it calls the 'check_users' plugin from the Monitoring Plugins
project which generates performance data by default.

> The main difference I can see between services that I do get rrd-files
> from, and services I do not get rrd-files from, is that the ones which
> do not generate any files are applied per rule using "apply Service"
> from the main services.conf file, and the ones that do work are
> defined under the host per "object Service". I hope that makes my
> issue a bit clearer.

You are still mixing the different possible causes. Services do not
generate rrd files, that's being done by a perfdata processing tool such
as npcd (which ignores invalid performance data).

Even if I repeat myself, but please follow these steps:

> It doesn't make sense to debug three different locations for "no graph
> is shown"
>
> * Verify which command is being executed given the configuration objects
> * Validate the check plugin manually providing the correct performance
> data
>
> Only if these points are done, step to npcd/process perfdata. And if
> their logs don't tell anything, dive into rrdtool.

> - It's still a sample config, and shall be revised/modified by your
> own strategy
>
> I fully intend to do that, once I get this issue out of the way. It's
> easier to debug with configs which are easily replicated, as anyone
> can just grab a copy, or create a vagrant instance with those configs.
> BTW - your link returned a "page not found" :(

That's a framework session problem of the Icinga Web 2 doc viewer which
we are using in an early version. The next milestone release will
hopefully fix it and we may upgrade docs.icinga.org.

In your case, that means, opening the link once again in another tab,
now having the session cookie.

Details: https://dev.icinga.org/issues/6730

> - Run the plugin manually as Icinga 2 would execute it, and post the
> entire output.
>
> Sure - where does icinga2 keep the internal command files, such as
> ping4? I haven't found any documantation on that, and there's no path
> under /etc/icinga2/features-enabled/command.conf . There's no mention
> of ping4 in any other config file.

That's called the ITL provided plugin check commands, and we've added a
complete section for it to the documentation.

http://docs.icinga.org/icinga2/latest/doc/module/icinga2/toc#!/icinga2/latest/doc/module/icinga2/chapter/configuring-icinga2#icinga-template-library
http://docs.icinga.org/icinga2/latest/doc/module/icinga2/toc#!/icinga2/latest/doc/module/icinga2/chapter/configuring-icinga2#plugin-check-commands

The icinga 2 feature called 'command' has nothing to do with that -
that's just the external command pipe. Find an explaination about its
possibilities in the 'monitoring basics' section too.

http://docs.icinga.org/icinga2/latest/doc/module/icinga2/toc#!/icinga2/latest/doc/module/icinga2/chapter/monitoring-basics#external-commands

> In addition to me debugging this issue, it would be nice to get some
> feedback from other users - Has anyone successfully applied and got
> PNP data from an "applied" service in icinga2 ?

I have plenty of ping4 and ping6 services being executed, generating
valid performance data. I only have PNP disabled in my demo setups, I
prefer Graphite in-memory.

I'd be curious on your step-by-step output requested above.