[icinga-users] Parent hosts

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:49:44 CEST 2014

Am 23.08.2014 23:32, schrieb Daniel Bareiro:
> Hi all,
>
> Searching in Icinga 2.x the equivalent to the "parent" attribute in the
> host definition of Nagios/Icinga 1.x, I found this reference [1].
>
> If I understood correctly, every relationship (even the parents who have
> only one child) is achieved by creating a group which contains the
> parent and the children, and then creating a Dependency object.
>
> Is this the only way to achieve this? Since, for example, having to
> create a single group for the purposes of the relationship may make the
> configurations become more voluminous.

Parents are used for two things in Icinga 1.x:

1) Network reachability
2) External interface visualization for network maps

In terms of 1) parent relations are just a plain duplicate of a host
dependency. 2) should be achieved by a certain custom attribute and an
interface capable of doing so. Addons like NagVis use their own layer
for defining such objects and their relationships on a statusmap, and do
not rely on the parents attribute at all.

So the latter shows that only 1) is really important, when it comes to
determine the reachability state (of hosts in that special case).

Even if "parents foobar" is just a one-liner in Icinga 1.x, you're
missing any conditions and filters a real host dependecy would allow you
to define. And if you argue that you don't need them, you could still
stash them into a template and use simple dependency rules.

template Dependency "global-router-dep" {
   parent_host_name = "global.router"
   states = [ Up ]
   disable_checks = true
   disable_notifications = true
}

apply Dependency "router-web-srv" to Host {
   import "global-router-dep"

   assign where match("*web*", host.name)
   ignore where match("*internal*", host.vars.description)
}

More details on how you determine network reachability with Icinga 2 can
be found on the docs.

http://docs.icinga.org/icinga2/latest/doc/module/icinga2/chapter/monitoring-basics#dependencies-network-reachability

kind regards,
Michael