[icinga-users] Icinga2 - Ansible - Vagrant

Michael Friedrich Michael.Friedrich at netways.de
Tue Nov 10 20:54:19 CET 2015

> On 10 Nov 2015, at 20:17, Luc Stroobant <lstroobant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Icinga has some Ansible examples on their github, but I didn't find them very useful. It's most of the time only a basic installation and you still have to execute manual steps to finish the installation.

To be fair - that’s not a matter of the modules but additional configuration steps being done manually. IIRC the puppet modules don’t setup or upgrade your database schema as well.

> So I spent some time to automate the full installation of an Icinga2 master, the Icinga classic ui and Icingaweb2. The playbook also installs Icinga2 on another "monitored" boxs and configures it in the master. I really like Icinga and thought it was a good opportunity to share something with the community, so I cleaned up the code and pushed it to github:
> <https://github.com/stroobl/icinga2-ansible-vagrant>
>
> Feel free to try or to reuse the code if you want to deploy Icinga2. Questions, comments, pull request etc welcome. :)

AWESOME!

It might be a good idea to

1) patch icinga2-ansible allowing its usage
2) incorporate the module into a dedicated vagrant box at github.com/icinga/icinga-vagrant

In terms of 1) it is a good idea to talk with Valentino being the maintainer of the Ansible playbook. In terms of 2), it’s me but I’ll happily grant git access to you willing to maintain the boxes and becoming a member of the packages & tools team on Icinga :)

Cheers,
Michael

PS: I’d personally go for the master deploying the configuration to the satellite until the service auto-discovery is re-evaluated in 2016.