[icinga-users] Notification Escalations - Confusion translating from icinga1 to icinga2 + Director?

Megerman, Joshua Joshua.Megerman at iwco.com
Mon Nov 20 17:43:00 CET 2017

I'm trying to figure out how to setup notifications for Icinga 2 (using Director - brand new setup from a blank slate) such that they escalate in the same way I currently have them setup in icinga 1.  My current escalation setup is as follows:

Initial notice:
  first notification                  1
  last notification                  1
  notification interval           15

Second notice:
  first notification                  2
  last notification                  2
  notification interval           240 (4 hours)

Ongoing Notice:
  first notification                  3
  last notification                  0
  notification interval           480 (8 hours)

Thus the notices go out at initial hard problem state, 15 minutes later, 4 hours after that, and then every 8 hours thereafter, all to the same contact. (Yes, it's weird, but it wasn't my idea and it's the simplest of my escalations to use as an example.)

Unfortunately, the "First notification delay" and "Last notification" options in Director are not actually documented anywhere other than the help box for the fields itself, which is neither very detailed nor does it entirely make sense (I suspect there's either a translation error or a plain old mistake in the First notification delay help of "Delay unless the first notification should be sent").  So I'm not sure if the first notification delay comes out of the notification interval, or what.  And I don't know if Last notification is a notification number, or a timestamp, etc.  I see the 'times' value in the migration chapter, but a) I don't know how this maps to director and b) I'm still not sure how I would set up these templates even if I did them by hand since the migration example involves escalating to additional contacts and not the same one.

Can someone point me to a good example of how to do this (or if you are willing, just tell me)?  I'm more than happy to read up and learn to do it myself, but right now I'm feeling a little stumped.  Also, if anyone can point me to a good howto on doing a master/satellite setup with Director, that would be very helpful - I get the feeling that only parts of it can't be done with Director, but I'd like to do as much as possible with it to minimize special cases...

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Josh

Joshua Megerman
Sr. Systems Engineer
IWCO Direct
Phone: 267-960-3048
www.iwco.com<http://www.iwco.com>

______________________________________________ CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, and any files/attachments transmitted, may include confidential and/or proprietary information from IWCO Direct, intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply message and then delete the electronic message and any files/attachments. ______________________________________________