[icinga-users] Distributed Monitoring for Client Host cluster-zone command question

Rick Liu totoroliu1215 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 10 01:05:56 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have setup a single master with 2 client endpoints in my icintga2 monitoring system using director

with Top-Down mode.

I have also setup 2 client nodes with both accept configs and accept commands.

(hopefully this means I'm running Top Down Command Endpoint<https://www.icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#top-down-command-endpoint> mode)

The service checks (disk/mem/load) for the 3 hosts are returning correct results.

But my problem is:

according to the example from Top Down Command Endpoint<https://www.icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#top-down-command-endpoint> example,

host icinga2-client1 is using "hostalive" as the host check_command.

eg.

object Host "icinga2-client1.localdomain" {
  check_command = "hostalive" //check is executed on the master
  address = "192.168.56.111"

  vars.client_endpoint = name //follows the convention that host name == endpoint name
}

But one issue I have is that

if the client1 icinga process is not running,

the host status stays green and also all of service status (disk/mem/load) stay all green as well

because master is not getting any service check updates and hostalive is able to ping the node.

Under Best Practice - Health Check<https://www.icinga.com/docs/icinga2/latest/doc/06-distributed-monitoring/#health-checks> section,

it mentioned to use "cluster-zone" check commands.

I was expecting while using "cluster-zone",

the host status would be RED when the client node icinga process is stopped,

but somehow this is not happening.

Does anyone has any idea?

My zone/host/endpoint configurations are as follows:

object Zone "icinga-master" {
    endpoints = [ "icinga-master" ]
}
object Host "icinga-master" {

    import "Master-Template"

    display_name = "icinga-master [192.168.100.71]"
    address = "192.168.100.71"
    groups = [ "Servers" ]
}
object Endpoint "icinga-master" {
    host = "192.168.100.71"
    port = "5665"
}

object Zone "rick-tftp" {
    parent = "icinga-master"
    endpoints = [ "rick-tftp" ]
}
object Endpoint "rick-tftp" {
    host = "172.16.181.216"
}
object Host "rick-tftp" {
    import "Host-Template"

    display_name = "rick-tftp [172.16.181.216]"
    address = "172.16.181.216"
    groups = [ "Servers" ]
    vars.cluster_zone = "icinga-master"
}

object Zone "tftp-server" {
    parent = "icinga-master"
    endpoints = [ "tftp-server" ]
}
object Endpoint "tftp-server" {
    host = "192.168.100.221"
}

object Host "tftp-server" {
    import "Host-Template"

    display_name = "tftp-server [192.168.100.221]"
    address = "192.168.100.221"
    groups = [ "Servers" ]
    vars.cluster_zone = "icinga-master"
}

Thanks,

Rick

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>  不含病毒。www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>