[icinga-users] Any way to modify the output of a Service check from configuration files?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at icinga.open.source.it
Fri Oct 26 16:40:25 CEST 2018

Hi.

I have three machines being monitored by Icinga2, which maintain a floating IP
address between them.

I'm running service checks on the real machines by having Icinga installed on
them, and on the floating address using "by_ssh", so the check gets run on
whichever machine has that address at the time the check is run.

It would be useful to have the name of the machine which currently has the
floating address reported back as part of the service check status, so instead
of something like:

	OK: asterisk openvpn running

I can see:

	Artemis OK: asterisk openvpn running

or:

	OK: asterisk openvpn running on Artemis

(assuming that Artemis is the name of the server which has the floating IP at
the time).

Is there any way I can prepend or append text such as this to the output of
the service check, in the configuration stanza of the Service check object, or
the CheckCommand object in Icinga's configration files?

Obviously if I have the source code of the plugin check command itself, I
could modify that to accept an additional parameter and adjust the output
accordingly, but:

a) some plugins are compiled binaries which I don't have the source code for
(or maybe the skills / tools to modify it)
	and
b) this gets tedious if I need to modify the output of 30 different checks all
in the same way, when they get run using the SSH connector.

So, it would be nice to be able to define the service check to add some specific
text to the check command output before it gets processed by icinga.

	Is that possible?

Antony.

--
"It would appear we have reached the limits of what it is possible to achieve
with computer technology, although one should be careful with such statements;

 - John von Neumann (1949)

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.